The occupation at a glance
Mathematicians develop mathematical formulas, theories and methods and transfer the knowledge gained to practical fields of application, e.g. medicine, natural sciences, engineering or economics and social sciences.
Typical areas of work:
Mathematicians find employment e.g.
– in market and opinion research institutes
– in management consulting firms
– in software and system houses
– in IT departments of companies and institutions
– in engineering offices for technical planning
– in public administration, e.g. at statistical offices
– for banks and insurance companies
– in development departments of companies in biotechnology, automotive, mechanical engineering
– at universities and research institutes